Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Friday, March 23, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games

     The Hunger Games, based on the book by Suzanne Collins of the same name, opens in theaters today.  It is the story of a young girl, Katniss Everdeen (played by Jennifer Lawrence), who lives with her mother and sister in a place called District 12.

     It is one of the thirteen districts that developed in what used to be North America, in a country called Panem.  The districts surround the Capitol, a surreal place with excentric and wealthy people.

     The districts are not as fortunate, and years ago there was an uprising against the Capitol.  The thirteenth district was obliterated, and to keep from further rebellions, the Capitol holds the annual Hunger Games.

     One boy and one girl from each district (called tributes) are sent yearly into an area to fight to the death.  One survives of the twenty four.

     There is a mandatory lottery to be chosen to be a tribute, which is considered an honor in some districts, and a death sentence in the less well-off ones.

     Katniss Everdeen volunteers to be District 12’s female tribute when her younger sister is selected.  She goes off to her almost certain death with a boy she grew up with, Peeta Mellark (played by Josh Hutcherson).

     The two are more than neighbors, they are star-crossed lovers that need to kill, or be killed.  Only one of them can make it out alive…or can they?

     This is one of my favorite books, and I was so happy when they made it into a movie.  The movie is good and does some graphic scenes tastefully (teenagers are fighting to the death after all).  However, I was picturing it a little differently.  You REALLY need to read the book prior to seeing the movie.  The movie cuts out a lot of important and useful information.  It is still good, but I would not say that it stands on its own.  The ending leaves it open for the next movie (the books are a trilogy).

     I give the movie a 6 out of 10.  It was good, but the screenplay could have been better (surprising, since the author co-wrote the screenplay).  I recommend reading and then watching the movie.  You can enjoy the action on the big screen, or wait for the DVD.  The Hunger Games is rated PG-13 and runs 142 minutes.  It opens everywhere March 23, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment