Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Dark Shadows


     Dark Shadows is a movie based on the gothic soap opera of the same name that ran from 1966 to 1971.  In this movie adaptation, Tim Burton (director) puts his own spin on the much loved drama.  We quickly learn the story of Barnabas Collins (Johnny Depp), who upset a witch by the name of Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green) by not devoting his love to her.  She then turned into a vampire before burring him alive for nearly 200 years (196 to be exact).

     Barnabas is unearthed while the area is under construction, and finds himself lost in the world of 1972 (appropriately the year after the original show ended).  The coastal town of Collinsport, Maine, which the Collins family built with their wealth and cannery business when Barnabas was a youth, has fallen into the hands of Angelique.  Needless to say that Angelique still has hard feelings for being scorned by the man of her dreams, she does not take lightly to the fact that Barnabas is once again roaming about.  She is also enraged to find out that he has restored his family business to its former glory, which is competition for her cannery and a threat at her power of the town.  When she offers herself to him once more…well, you’ll just have to watch it to find out what happens.

     Out of 10, I give this movie and 11.  This movie is EXCELLENT.  I am not just saying that because Johnny Depp is in it (my favorite actor if you haven’t gathered that much yet).  The entire cast is phenomenal.  The movie blends humor, horror, romance, drama, and darkness perfectly together.  The props, costumes, sets, music, and make-up are equally as amazing.  Barnabas sounds as if he just awoke from the 1700’s, as his concepts and English are stuck in an era none of us have lived through (unless you too are a vampire or are somehow immortal, in which case you might have). 

     As Burton and Depp’s eighth collaboration, it feels like the first.  Dark Shadows is exciting and keeps you guessing until the end.  This is definitely one worth seeing over and over again.

     Dark Shadows is rated PG-13 and runs 113 minutes.  It opens everywhere on Friday, May 11, 2012 and is available in IMAX.  

No comments:

Post a Comment