Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Happy Mole Day!


     Chances are, you had no idea today was such an auspicious occasion as Mole Day!  The rest of you are probably thinking, what the heck is Mole Day, and why is there a holiday in honor of a fuzzy rat?

     A mole can be many things.  It can be: 1) an unwanted growth on your body.  2) a spy who gets into the ranks of the government as a double agent. 3) a small mammal with velvety fur that lives mainly underground. 4) a large and powerful machine used to bore through rock to forge tunnels. Or 5) Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 1023) [used in Chemistry]

     Mole Day is based on definition number 5.  A mole in grams of a particular element, is equal to the atomic mass of the molecule.  For example, oxygen’s atomic mass is 32, so one mole of oxygen gas weighs 32 grams.  This relationship was discovered by Amadeo Avogadro, who the number is named after.  In general, a mole of any substance (even cheeseburgers), contains 6.02 x 1023 items.  Fun Fact: One mole of blood cells would be more than all of the blood of all of the humans on Earth.

     In honor of the number, the day is celebrated from 6:02 am, to 6:02 pm on October 23rd (6:02, 10/23).  Not much unlike Pi Day, which is held every March (on 3/14).

     If you are not into chemistry, you will most likely never think about this number again.  However, it is quite important in the field of science, so this day was established to foster interest in chemistry around the world mainly through activities done inside of the classroom. 

     And the sky is the limit with how you can get creative with this day.  Some classes have mole-themed parties, play mole games (like Mole-opoly), or make mole day posters.  Each year the National Mole Day Foundation (US) releases a theme for that particular holiday.  The theme for 2012 is “Molar Eclipse.”  Past themes include “Moles of the Caribbean,” “Double Mole Seven,” and “Remember the Alamole.”  Check out http://moleday.org/ for more information on the holiday and project ideas.


1 comment:

  1. Watch our Mole Day video!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIkC7SRqXP0

    ReplyDelete