Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Is the Internet Messing with our Minds?

Everything is at our fingertips.  If we need to look up a word, we type it into our favorite search engine, and the definition is brought to us.  How many of us use (or know how to for that matter) a dictionary?

I used to be able to read a whole book, and now I do not have the attention span to sit and read unless I am REALLY intrigued.  Now I only have the “time” to skim a summary or Spark Notes I find online.  The hyperlinks in news articles online even tell me the important parts of the story.  Why would you need to read Shakespeare anymore when you can get the main idea of Romeo and Juliet in a paragraph (an English paragraph)?  Even now, if you think this post is too long, I bet you are skimming.  Admit it!

There is a lot of debate going on that the internet is the root of this shift in the way we think and process information.  The issue is separating the effects of the medium (the internet) from the content (what you use the internet for).

All I can say is, do not lose the skills so you can function without modern technology.  Being able to use a dictionary and find a book through the Dewey Decimal System are invaluable skills to possess and pass down to future generations.  That way when we lose electricity for an indefinite amount of time, your lives can continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment