Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Twas the Month Before Christmas

     This is not my poem, but I thought I should share it.  It gets at the point that we should really be allowed to say “Merry Christmas” wherever we want, just as everyone should have the right to celebrate their holidays.  As Charles Dickens has said, “you keep Christmas in your way, and let me keep it in mine.”

“Twas the month before Christmas,
When all through our land, 

Not a Christian was praying 
Nor taking a stand. 

See the PC Police 
Had taken away
 

The reason for Christmas:
No one could say.
 The children were told
By their schools not to sing,

About Shepherds and Wise Men
And Angels and things. 
 It might hurt people's feelings,
The teachers would say

December 25th is 
Just a ' Holiday .'

 Yet the shoppers 
Were ready with cash, checks and credit.
 

Pushing folks 
Down to the floor just to get “it!”
 
 CDs from Madonna, 
An X BOX, an I-pod
 

Something was changing,
Something quite odd! 
 Retailers promoted
Ramadan and Kwanzaa 

In hopes to sell 
Books by Franken & Fonda.
 
 As Targets were 
Hanging their trees upside down
 

At Lowe's the word Christmas,
Was nowhere to be found. 
 At K-Mart and 
Staples and Penny's and Sears
 

You won't hear the word “Christmas;”
It won't touch your ears. 
 Inclusive, sensitive,
Di-ver-si-ty 

Are words that 
Were used to intimidate me.
 
 Now Daschle,
Now Darden,
Now Sharpton,
Wolf Blitzen, 

On Boxer,
On Rather,
On Kerry,
On Clinton! 
 At the top of the Senate,
There arose such a clatter 

To eliminate Jesus,
In all public matter. 
 And we spoke not a word,
As they took ‘way our faith

Forbidden to speak
Of salvation and grace.
 The true Gift of Christmas
Was exchanged and discarded 

The reason for the season,
Stopped before it started. 
 So as you celebrate “Winter Break” under your “Dream Tree”
Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me. 


Choose your words carefully;
Choose what you say, 

Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS, 
Not Happy Holiday!”


     In America we have freedom OF religion; not freedom FROM religion.  If you are Christian or not, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cute, but it assumes we are entitled to have people wish us a Merry Christmas or play religious songs in the mall. First of all, I accept any pleasant greeting I get. And Second, when I am wandering through the 300,000 square foot mall filled with over-priced items that people are shoving and yelling at each other over, I do not think it is appropriate to have "Angels We Have Heard On High" playing in the background. THAT strips Christmas of its meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also accept any greeting I receive from someone. This poem is not directed at those who would like to go around wishing me a “Happy Holiday,” it is for the ones who are saying that I cannot go around wishing people a “Merry Christmas.” It is not saying that I am ENTITLED to a greeting of my choosing, it is saying that I am entitled to USE the greeting of my choice.
    The meaning of the season has been lost with how commercial it has become. Do not take away from the people who still keep it alive.

    ReplyDelete