Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

There Is No Place Like London

     I recently had the opportunity of visiting London, England.  I had never traveled to the United Kingdom before, and was excited at the opportunity.

     I cannot wait to go back!!!

     There are so many practices that they do over there that make much more sense than we do here in America. There is the obvious, such as we drive on the opposite side of the road, to the more discrete.

     In the City of London, the stop lights do not switch from red right to green.  The yellow light comes back on to warn the drivers that it is about to change, and then it turns green.  In America, the lights flip to green, which leaves people blankly staring at the road, unaware that the light has even changed.  With that warning, the drivers can prepare to drive, and not be honked at for slowing other people down.  That can also be slightly dangerous, because there were many times were people were driving while the light was still red, over-anticipating that it was turning green.

     All of the public museums have free admittance.  From the science museum to the museum of natural history.  This encourages not only the tourists to visit, but the citizens as well.  There are many people here who live down the road from a major museum who have never visited it because of the high admittance fee.  Donations are encouraged, but you are not obligated to fork over $30 per person (or should I say more like 19 pounds).

     People are so friendly.  Not only is there almost no road rage, but they are willing to help you with almost anything.  If you are struggling with something, they will stop to help you.  Or they will patiently explain how something works to a tourist.  In America, people like that are few and far between in many places.  The only thing you have to worry about in London is being pick-pocketed, but that fear is everywhere in the world.

     There were a few things that did irritate me.  For one thing, the 1 and 2 pound (the currency) are coins.  That just adds weight to your wallet, and more coins to learn the difference between.  Paper money is easier to organize.  Only a slight negative, especially since most places work on chip and pin cards (where you can pay the bills right at the table - another positive).

     The suggested gratuity is less over there, but the taxes are a lot higher on purchases (give and take).

     The roads are TOO narrow.  The lanes were barely any wider than the width of a car, and there were many close calls.  No one seems to have fear on the roads, and have no problem skimming right past one another.  People on bikes and motorcycles also squeeze through between cars.  It just makes tourists like me nervous.  I can never see myself driving in those conditions, especially since the streets are not straight, but twist through the city.

     This was such an amazing trip!!!  I was fortunate to have to opportunity to go, and hope I get the chance to go again.  I will post pictures soon.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment