Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

London Time

     I went to London back in September, and am still there mentally.  I was not there long enough to adjust to the time zone, and yet I will still look at my watch and say “gee, it’s 3 am in London.”  And not just because my watch is still set five hours ahead, but because I like to imagine what would I be doing over the pond at a given time.
     What is must be like to live over there…The public transportation is so easy to follow, and everyone is so friendly.  For as fast-paced as the city is, I never felt as if I was lost.  New York, Boston, and Hartford scare me, and yet I can walk around the streets of London at 23:30 (I told you I am still on London Time).
     It all just makes more sense over there.  The stores close early and many are not open on Sundays (or close by noon).  As annoying as that may be to a tourist, that must be nice to people who live there.  The city gets quite early, and Sunday is family day. 
     We have lost that sense of family in America.  Here you try to work late to squeeze in more than 40 hours so you can make some extra money.  Children go in so many directions for sports and activities that dinner is no longer a family meal.  You grab something to eat on your way out of the door.  We want instant gratification.  Fast food.  On Demand television.  Movies downloaded right to your computer. 
     Where does it end?  No one can sit down and play a board game as a family anymore.  If it doesn’t have a million different lights and buzzers and play itself, no child wants to take part in it.  We are losing not only the family unit, but the ability to think for our selves.  We want to be entertained, and want to exert as little effort as possible in order to do so. 
     Another thing I loved about London was the fact that there were bikes for rent every few feet of the sidewalk.  People would rent them and ride around the city.  I realize that this was in some cases the best form of transportation, but it was also a nice way to see the city and to get some extra exercise.  Not many people ride bikes in America.  If they do, they have no where to ride them since there are no bike lanes like there are in London.
     London may do some things backwards, but they have the right idea with many others.  When you see me move to London, now you’ll know why.  It is better over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment