Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Why English is the Most Difficult Language to Learn

     If you speak English, you may think that other languages do not make sense.  In reality, it is ENGLISH that is nearly impossible to understand.  We have a word for EVERYTHING, so much so that many different (often unrelated things) have the same name.  But are they pronounced the same?  Of course not!!!  It is all in the context that tells you how these words are supposed to be pronounced.  When speaking with someone they are not to be confused, but reading them is another matter. 
     Here are just a few of the words I have found that must make learning English one of the most difficult tasks imaginable:

Minute (small) Minute (60 seconds)
Read (present tense of interpreting words) Read (Past tense of “read”)
Wound (injury) Wound (something that has been wrapped)
Wind (breeze) Wind (to wrap something)
Polish (the language) Polish (what you put on nails)
Lead (as in to be a leader) Lead (the element)
Fair (rides, food, whatnot) Fair (to treat people equally)
Tire (to become bored) Tire (round rubber things on cars)
Can (able) Can (metal container)
Jar (to bump or unsettle) Jar (glass container)
Close (near) Close (to shut)
Change (to become different) Change (coins)
Stick (to make something become stuck as with tape) Stick (the arms of snowmen)
Staples (that which go in a stapler) Staples (international office supply company)
Point (an impolite thing to do) Point (good things to make)
Project (something to make) Project (to make yourself heard, as on a stage)
Box (used to ship) Box (a fake sport)
Ship (a large boat) Ship (to send something, which can be done via a ship)
Free (available) Free (no cost)
Pop (a sound) Pop (dad) Pop (soda)

     Then you have the words that SOUND the same, but are spelt differently!  This is where it becomes confusing to listen to someone, and you have to pay attention to the rest of the story.  Oh my goodness!

Read (this word is just annoying) Red (the color)
Fair (again, always annoying) Fare (the price to enter something such as a fair)
Lead (ditto for the frustration level) Led (past tense of to lead)
Road (the street) Rode (to have ridden)
Be (preposition) Bee (buzz)
Bored (to become tired) Board (plank)
Bore (repetitive and uninteresting) Boar (animal)
Weather (snow, rain…) Whether (or not)
Which (either or) Witch (pointy hat and broomstick)
One (1) Won (to win)
Eight (8) Ate (to have eaten)
Four (4) For (preposition)
Two (2) To (preposition) Too (also)
Do (action) Due (needs to be done) Doo (poopy)
There (place) Their (ownership) They’re (They + are)

     I have a new found respect for people with Dyslexia, especially in English-speaking countries.  And this isn't even taking into account slang!

No comments:

Post a Comment