Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tetradrachm

     So I am doing a project on a silver tetradrachm of Alexander the Great.  I thought a good place to start was learning what the heck a tetradrachm was, and thought I would share this (probably useless - but that is the point) piece of knowledge.

A drachm (also called a dram) was the primary unit of currency in Greece before the adoption of the euro.  It is a Greek unit of weight equal to six obols, an eighth of an ounce (fluid or solid), or 60 grains. 

Tetra means four.

Tetradrachm therefore means four drachms, or drams.  This would be equivalent to ½ ounce (4 X 1/8 oz. = ½ oz.)  It is an ancient Greek coin equivalent to four drachms, or ½ oz.

So now you know!  Here is a picture of the silver tetradrachm I am doing my project on, currently located at the British Museum in London.  (This is from their website.  I'll share my own photo when I go and see it for myself!)

No comments:

Post a Comment