Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Power OUT

     So I lost power on October 29th due to snow.  Is something wrong with that picture?  Two days before Halloween, and I had snow.  It was the first white Halloween I have ever seen, not to mention the first one that was cancelled (no one was allowed to go trick-or-treating in my area). 
     Global Warming is getting bad quick.  But what got me wasn’t so much the fact that snow came in late October; it was how little we can do without electricity.  When the power goes out, the world seems to stop.  No one can function anymore.  What is even scarier, is that the more advanced we become, the further behind we are falling.
     Years ago when the power went out, it was restored within a few hours.  Now you are lucky if you get it back within a few DAYS.  And no one can fend for themselves.  No TV.  No internet.  No way of charging the electronics we have come to rely on.  When a battery dies, that’s it, game over.  Finished. 
     Many people don’t even have landlines anymore.  How long do you think a cell phone battery lasts?  A lot less than a modern-day black-out, especially if your battery was on its last leg at the time.
     You can’t do your banking, you can’t check out a library book, and you can’t even pump gas without electricity.  You also can’t watch a battery-powered TV in a black-out anymore with digital cable.  There is no reception for analog television sets.  And if your phone service is bundled with your cable, your phone does out along with the power (unlike if they are separate services you have a chance the line will remain working).  But if your phones are all cordless?  Forget it!  You have no phone service anyhow.  (EVERYONE should have at least one corded phone in their house so they will have service in case power goes out.)  What an advancement!
     What is this world coming to?  You can’t look up or watch the weather.  If there  is an emergency notice, how are you supposed to know what is going on?  All this advancement is biting us in the butt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment