Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Benny and Joon


This is not a new movie.  In fact, it came out in 1993.  However, I have decided (even if it is just for my own record), to catalogue some of my favorite movies.  I will also be trying to get through all of Johnny Depp’s films (of which I have seen all save one, but would like to re-watch them for a fresh review).

Starting with “Benny and Joon.”

This is the story of Benny (Aidan Quinn), who is a single mechanic who is having difficulties looking after his younger and mentally ill sister Joon (Mary Stuart Masterson).  The two of them have been living together ever since their parents died in a car accident, over ten years ago.

Joon is going through house-sitters like tissue, as she is a handful (why she cannot be left home alone).  When Benny can find no more people willing to look after Joon while he is in work, he hits a dilemma he has been trying to avoid.  Joon just might be best off in a group home, where she can socialize with other people and work out some of her internal issues.

Then comes Sam (Johnny Depp).  We are never quite sure what is different about Sam, but something is askew.  He is twenty-six years old, and cannot read, along with a few idiosyncrasies.  He is obsessed with old movies, and is phenomenal at physical comedy (culminating in a superb park scene towards the end). 

Sam seems to be the answer for Benny and Joon, as Joon and Sam really hit it off.  Joon is able to do more, and seems to be having more good days.  But Benny is not quite ready to hand off his sister to a guy he is not too sure about just yet.

It isn’t all rainbows and unicorns, and Joon has an episode that could compromise all Benny has been trying to work for.  If Benny can open up and learn to let go, Sam might be able to keep Joon safe a bit longer; possibly forever.

This is such a sweet movie.  I give it a 9.8 out of 10.  It is my third favorite movie.  The cast is wonderful, the story is touching, the music entrancing, and the physical stunts admirable.  This is a movie you should definitely see, and perfect for a day when you are just not feeling on top of the world (and need a nice pick me up).

“Benny and Joon” is rated PG, and runs 98 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment