Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

The 4th of July

     This week was the 4th of July.  If you are in America, that is a big deal - Independence Day!  If you are in any of the other countries of the world, it is just another day of the year.

     Being in England for the 4th was...different.  I felt weird from the start, just because most of me wanted to celebrate this day, while the rest of me was thinking "is it really the best or most logical idea to celebrate your independence from the country you have willingly and enthusiastically chosen to be a part of this summer?"

     But once I stopped talking to myself, I decided to embrace the day however it came.  My friend and I started out heading for Baker Street, where the famous Sherlock Holmes "lived."  We then ate all of the American food we could lay our hands on, which ended up being ice cream and fries at McDonalds.  We then came across a shop selling "Foods of America." What did they sell?  Bacon popcorn and NO macaroni and cheese.  Just saying, that someone is not doing their research.

The Sherlock Hotel on Baker Street
     What was the most memorable experience of the day, was we took a walk passed the American Embassy.  The whole day did not feel like the 4th, so we wanted to see some American soil.

     It was nice.

     It was nice to see the flag again (properly displayed).

     It was nice to see the flags of the 50 states waving out front.

     It was nice to see the US Seal again.

     It was nice to see that outside of the embassy, there is a park dedicated to the victims of 9/11, surrounded by statues of our presidents.

     It was a surreal experience.  To us, a 9/11 memorial is nothing to be surprised by.  But in England?  It was very touching and moving.  You walk into the park, and all of the noises of the surrounding city seem to dissolve.  For a moment, you almost forget where you are.  This was a much welcomed feeling during our misplaced 4th of July.  I would say it was a successful day indeed.



  


No comments:

Post a Comment