Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Photo Diary

     These posts are a bit random because my typical day is unplanned or spontaneous to an extent.  Sometimes I will set out with a goal of getting one place, and end up somewhere I never expected, and enjoying myself.  Here is what I've done over the past few days:

Around the city there are these pieces of artwork  based on a telephone booth.  Everyone can paint or decorate theirs anyway they want.  I thought the message on this one was simple, but powerful.

What is London without Harry Potter?  This is the Millennium  Bridge over the  River Thames.  It is a walking bridge that was destroyed in the Harry Potter movies by Death Eaters.

Here is Saint Paul Cathedral, as seen from the Millennium Bridge.

I had the opportunity to go and see "The Taming of the Shrew" at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.  It was an experience to remember.  However, a word to the wise: spring for the pricier seats that have a place to sit.  For £5 (about $8), you will be in the courtyard standing for the 2 hour plus show. There is also no roof, so since it is in London, it is better to be safe with the seats that are under cover in case it is raining.

The set of the production was simple and effective.

The seats the smart people were sitting in (at The Globe).

This week I've seen a few plays.  For the class I am taking, we went to The Old Vic (seen above) to see "Democracy."  No comment on this play...mainly because I am still trying to figure out what it was about.

Today I visited the Wellcome Collection.  It has some science exhibits for people who are curious about how things work.  In the medicine section, I found this display on a program done with children who have a long term illness.  While they are in the hospital, each time they are poked with a needle, or tested, they are given a special-shaped bead to keep track of what they've been through.  It is known as Bravery Beads, and is like a tangible diary.  The beaded heart necklaces are sold in order to raise money for the program.

The children's hospital near my home takes part in this program, so it caught my attention.  I was also wearing my necklace at the time, and added it to the photo (on top of the table; as it was originally packaged is shown in the drawer).

I am more adventuresome within the confines of my room, than I am at a pub or a restaurant.   Today I made myself British Strawberries and Cream.  Again, the recipe is in the name (cream on top of strawberries).  Apparently it is popular over here.  I liked it, and will make it again with the remaining cream and berries I have, but I am not sure I get what the big fuss is about.  I would much sooner dip my fruit in chocolate than in cream.

The third...not exactly sure if you could call it a play...I've seen this week was at The Roundhouse.  We saw "The Dark Side of Love."  Again, not exactly sure what was going on.  It is a dreamlike performance done by teenagers.  It is said to be based on some of Shakespeare's works, but the script was not quite his words. It was the most interesting role of the audience I think I've ever seen.  We were walking around to the actors who were stationed around the room.  We could move in any direction we wanted to, and it had the atmosphere of a haunted house.  Then we were corralled into a  center circle where the remainder of the performance continued to happen around us.  It was well done, but a bit unnerving and bewildering.

I have found more Disney Stores and Build-A-Bear Workshops in London, than I think there is all over New England. And they are also beautifully decorated. Some times it feels like I'm in Disney World.



No comments:

Post a Comment