Pages

Welcome to my blog. I will post whatever I am working on, whether it be a creative writing piece, random blip that has made my day, or an opinion I would like to share with the world. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

All ideas are my original work. I do not take credit for work that is not mine. I may borrow pieces such as comics, definitions, or quotations, but will never pass someone else’s work off as my own; I will either credit their source or make it clear that I am not their author. I merely use these as either bouncing boards from which my own ideas can take off, or wish to share something that I found worth repeating.


Remember, today is not simply something to get through, but something to treasure. So smile and enjoy it!!!

Friday, June 22, 2012

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

     Last night my class went to go see "Sweeney Todd" at the Adelphi Theatre.  It was amazing!  I had previously seen one rendition, and coming off of the movie which I adore, I was less than impressed.  This is not only much like the original script, but also similar to the movie (which made me very happy).  




     Sweeney Todd is played by Michael Ball, (one of Britain's most-loved musical theater stars), while Mrs. Lovett is played by Imelda Staunton, (best known in America for her role as Professor Umbridge in the Harry Potter movies).  The show will run until September 22nd.


     If you are unfamiliar with the story:


     Sweeney Todd was wrongfully sentenced to life in prison by a corrupt judge.  This judge had his eye on Todd's wife, and needed him out of the picture.  Todd escapes from jail over a decade later, and is rescued at sea by a young sailor named Anthony.  When they arrive in London they go their separate ways.  Todd is determined to seek revenge on the judge who ruined his life, and stole his wife and baby daughter.  He returns to his old place, to find that an unsuccessful meat pie maker, Mrs. Lovett, has kept it just the way he had left it. 


     He reopens his old barber business, and the audience discovers that Mrs. Lovett has been in love with Todd all of these years, while his wife poisoned herself and his daughter was adopted by the man who sent him away.


     Meanwhile, Anthony falls in love with Todd's daughter, Johanna, who is under lock and key and not to see anyone outside of the house.  Anthony plans to run away with her, but needs Todd's help in getting her away.  What could have been a nice and easy plan, has a monkey wrench thrown into the mix when the judge learns of the scheme.  He locks Johanna away in an insane asylum and vows to never go near Todd's establishment.


     All the while, Todd has decided to slice the throats of some of his costumers until he can get his blade into the judge, and Mrs. Lovett disposes of the bodies by baking them into her pies and serving them to her oblivious customers.  Business has never been better for either of them.  But does Todd get what he wants in the end?  And does Mrs. Lovett ever get Mr. Todd?


     This was really good.  I'd give it an 8.5 out of a 10.  I just love how the shows here are much more affordable than in New York (which I've never actually been to see one on Broadway).  And then you can go to the Stage Door and meet the actors from the show.  Needless to say, I was very happy to meet Imelda and the rest of the ensemble.  The actor who played Anthony actually spent a while speaking with a few of us.




     Next week I am seeing three plays, only one for my class.  More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment